Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Sometimes the game comes easy

I played a medium length session at Doc's after work on Monday. When I got there, 2 tables were running, with 8 players at each table. My table didn't look very difficult, with the only large stack being 2 seats to my right.

First winner

My stack was down about 40 from my original buy-in of $200, after a whiffed cbet with KQs, when this hand came up. I would normally have topped off my stack, but they were in the process of switching charities, so I decided to wait. Lady in EP raises to 12, and I have KsQs in MP. This may ordinarily be a fold to an early position raise, but my recollection was that the woman was a fish, and I decided I would call and evaluate on future streets, in hopes of making a big hand. There was one other caller. The flop came Q43 with one spade. She checked to me, I bet 25, one fold and she called. At this point I was pretty sure I was winning, as I think she leads any AQ or better here. My range for her is medium pairs up to JJ, and maybe AK or even AJ. The turn was the Js, giving me top pair second kicker and the second nut flush draw. She checked to me, I bet 50, and she again called, leaving me only 75 behind. Now I am starting to get a little more concerned that she may have AQ. The turn was a 5, she checked and I checked behind (I should probably bet here). She shows AKo and my hand is good.

Big pot

We were playing 5 handed at this point as both tables had dwindled down. This is right in my wheelhouse as I get to play more hands overall, and more hands with the woman fish, who at this point has gone through about 300. I open with Ts9s to 8, the button calls, SB calls, but only after first looking like he wants to re-raise (young guy with stack of 100 who I think is kind of aggressive, but also seems to be getting frustrated) and lady fish BB (175) calls. Flop is KsQs4s. I flop the 3rd nut flush, with a straight flush re-draw. Checked to me, I bet 16. Button folds, SB flats, and now BB fish check raises to 40. I am in a dilemma here, as I am trying to figure out the best way to extract from both players. I feel like I am 90% ahead here, and I am also willing to risk another spade coming off on the turn. I call, and the SB calls. Turn is a Qh, which isn't the best card if she has something like KQ or Q4. I think a hand like that would have led out, or raised larger on the flop, but it's still a concern. SB checks, BB fish bets 50, I call, now SB goes all-in for 53, and obviously both call. River is 5d, lady now checks, and I bet 50 (she has 80ish left), giving her about 7-1 pot odds. She folds, and kid asks if I have a Q, turning over AsKx. I show the flush and rake the pot.

I can get lucky

Playing 6 handed now, UTG straddles, lady fish limps, I raise to 25 with 88 on the button. SB now goes all-in for 37 (he was new to the table, and had just lost most of his stack to a 3 outer on the river). Folds to lady fish who calls, leaving herself only 33 LOL behind. I call as I can't reraise. The flop comes 9 high, she checks, I bet 33, she angrily folds. Guy says I think I need help and rolls over TT. I tell him, "No, I need help.", and I get the help I needed as the board runs out 95367, for a straight for me.

Semi-bluffing with best hand??

The table is now 7-8 handed. I am in the BB with 99. An EP limper, and button limps, and the SB, (Steve I believe from Northville. Plays pretty LAG, with slicked back hair, and glasses) raises to 12. He has been running really hot, working 100 into 450 in about 15 minutes. I don't really want to bloat a pot 200 BB deep with him by 3 betting, so I call, and the button also calls. Flop is 765, SB bets 20, I call, and button surprisingly calls. Button almost certainly has a draw here, as I would expect any sets or straights to raise this board, and if he had an overpair he would have likely raised pre-flop. The turn is a T, and SB bets out 20 again. This screams weakness to me, as he likes to bet big with big hands. The T didn't fill any draws, and I think I can rep the nuts here pretty credibly, especially as I have 2 nut blockers. I raise to 65, button folds, and SB folds. I think I probably had the best hand here, but I think I like this line better than raising the flop. By just calling the flop, I am able to get a lot more information to make the play on the turn. If the SB bets out larger on the turn, I am giving up on the hand.

Aftermath

It was a very easy session overall, walking away with a profit of 325. I thought I played pretty smart, and knew where I was at in most hands. I flopped the one flush, but never flopped a straight, never made trips, and rarely made any pairs on the flops. I had KK once, which I took down preflop with a small 3 bet, and also had JJ once which I took down pre-flop as well. Had AK which got 3 bet small from 10 to 25, and I folded to a flop bet.

No comments: