Wednesday, January 11, 2006

2K buy-in SNG

Two nights ago I played a 500 buy-in Party Step 3 Higher, with the top 2 finishers earning 2K Step 4 Higher buyins. I was one of the lucky 2, and last night I played in the 2K SNG when I saw one filling up (they don't fill up often, I guess a lot of people don't like to risk 2K on an hour of poker).

Played pretty solid, as they normally play very tight, and before I knew it I was heads up. Winner gets 10K, 2nd place gets 5K. 2nd hand of heads up, I am at a 5800-4200 chip disadvantage, and in the BB for 300. SB completes (he hadn't done that all tourney), I have A9 so I decided to raise. I raise to 12oo and he immediately goes all-in. Being in all-in robot mode I called and he unsurpisingly showed me KK. I failed to improve and I was out...at least I got 5K for my trouble. Not bad off of a $500 investment.

I also played the $100 buy-in 35K guaranteed at 7pm on Party. I had built my stack up to about 2500+ a little more than an hour in, and we had lost more than half the field. I pick up AA in the BB. To make a long story short, I get it all-in pre-flop against KK, and wouldn't you know he flops a K. After the turn K I was drawing dead. So in tourney's that I can think of, my last 4 adventures with or against KK are as follows.

1) Full Tilt Sunday special, KK all-in preflop against AA...I lose most of my stack.
2) Full Tilt Sunday special KK all-in preflop against T9...I again lose most of my stack to a straight.
3) 2K buy-in SNG...A9 all-in preflop against KK....I am eliminated.
4) Party 35K guaranteed....AA all-in preflop against KK....2 Kings later I am eliminated.

No problem with incidents 1 and 3...but 2 and 4 smart. And if I am going to lose 2 and 4, at least let me suck out and win one of the others. Sigh, I realize it's a small sample size, just venting a little as a decent profit could have been a huge profit.

In football this weekend, I like the Colts to throttle the Steelers, they did it once before, and nothing has changed to make me think otherwise. The Pit defense just isn't good enough to slow them down. The only reason Pit made it past Cincy is because of Jon Kitna's 2nd half ineptitude.

No comments: