Thursday, April 08, 2010

2010 Fantasy Bases draft review

Admittedly, I spent a lot less time on this year than in past years, with all of the work and excitement around moving and the upcoming wedding. My league is also the only league I am doing this season. But here is the team, drafting from the 11 spot.

1) Halladay – Was hoping to get Longoria, and wasn’t thrilled about any of the other hitting options. Didn’t want to go 1B because of the overall depth, and felt it was too early for Zimmerman. I wrestled between Roy and Lince, but went with Roy being on the better team, and switching to the NL from the toughest division in baseball. Remember, he could win 25 games this year (per Deshetler).

2) Tulowitzki – Almost took Tex, but 1B is so DEEP this year, I went to a more scarce position. If I knew I could get Reyes in the 3rd/4th I probably would have gone Tex though.

3) Sizemore – Actually my first easy pick. He was hurt all year last year and shut down early. He went 6th overall last year, and 35th this year.

4) Votto – Debated Johan here, but didn’t want to go with 2 of 4 pitchers. Votto’s numbers from last year projected over a full season are pretty sick (he only had 469 at bats last year with the vertigo – inner/ear thing).

5) Phillips – Would have gone Reyes here, despite already having Tulo, but Labelle took him 2 picks earlier. I screwed up and should have taken Beckham here, since Jay already had a 2B, but I was playing catchup after 3 straight really fast picks.

6) Beckham – Really big on him, and that fills out my infield in the first 6 picks.

7) Choo – Think he is really peaking here, considered Markakis, but I think he may have reached his ceiling on production.

8) Garza – Considered Nolasco, Lackey and Shields, but went with the K potential of Garza. A little more luck and his win numbers could take a huge jump.

9) Soria – Thought he was the last of the elite closers. May not get as many save opps, but he does get brought in for tie games, and may grab a few wins.

10) Soto – I had him pegged for the 10th, or Suzuki in the 14th, since only 3 catchers had gone so far, I decided to get at the front of the run.

11) Soriano – Had no idea he changed teams until yesterday. Had 100 K’s in 75 innings in 1st healthy season in a while. Should get a lot of opportunities for a good team.

12) Liriano – Kind of a man-crush here. May have been able to wait another round, but I read he tore up winter ball, and maybe he will be close to what he was a few seasons ago.

13) The other Santana – Needed a pitcher I could kind of count on, and he seemed like a good fit. Pretty good numbers last year considering he was just back from injury.

14) Bourn – Needed a 3rd OF, and I had him higher than all else. SB’s are valuable in this scoring, and he should play everyday and steal 60ish.

15) Ortiz – Was targeting him and almost forgot him. Hate him being stuck at DH, but he had a rebound 2nd half, and at only 34 (allegedly), should have some pop left.

16) Sheets – 16th round seemed like a good time for a shot on him. Struggled in the spring, but is the opening day starter and pitches in a pitcher park.

17) Hudson – Good value here, he seems all the way back from his injury, and should be very dependable.

18) Chapman – Homerun ball here. Realize he is starting in the minors, but think he is a much better shot at pitching by May/June than Strasburg. If as good as they say he is, he won’t stay in the minors for long.

19) Pavano – Meh, wanted someone else to count on, and he still gets K’s. I’ll just start him against the Tigers and White Sox.

20) Adam Laroche – Needed some more pop in my lineup.

21) Maine – He’s gotta figure it out this year, right?

22) Garland – Hate the guy, but I could have a 4.00 ERA in San Diego.

23) Matsui – Just hitting depth. Pretty good for this late.

24) Dotel – Always loved the guy. Pit isn’t a good situation, but Capps had value in the past and Dotel K’s more people.

25) Nick Johnson – Whatever, probably a first cut.

26) Latos – Another SD pitcher, this guy did well last year in limited action.

No comments: