Friday, September 09, 2011

Dream session at Northville Downs

Here is a brief report from Northville Downs, from about a week and a half ago. It was one of those dream kind of sessions where every move I made I was right. Every time I needed to duck some outs, I was able to dodge them, and any time I needed a card to make my hand, I was able to make it.

In my first major hand, I was in the SB with T7o. Folded around to the bad player on the button who chop-blocked limped, I completed, and the BB (aggressive spewy regular - ASR for now) checked. The button was a bad player, who had a tendency to donk out into pots where he was out of position. After witnessing this a few times I was able to take a pot away from him earlier in the orbit after he called my pre-flop raise and donked the flop. Flop comes 773. Often I lead this flop, but I decided to check given who the other 2 players were in the hand. Surprisingly it gets checked around. Turn is a 4. I check, hoping somebody will stab at it, and it gets checked around again. The river is another 4, making the board 77344. Now I bet $10, ASR folds, and the button raises to $30 (with about $145 more behind, which I cover). After thinking about it for about 15-30 seconds, I shove, which is a slight overbet. My plan is to test the Zeebo theorem (if any of you guys around earlier in the days of online poker remember), that most players will not fold a full house. He debates for about a minute, looks like he is leaning towards a fold, and then calls. I show my hand, and he nods and shows T4 offsuit. Shocking that I was able to get $175 out of him on the river, when the pot started at $6.

After I have gotten my stack at about 400 or so, I really start attacking some of the passive limpers. I would say that I am able to pick up 10-15 pots uncontested after 1-2 limps in the next 2 hours or so, just by raising anywhere from $12-16, so I feel that I have very good control of the table.

A short while later, ASR limps UTG, there are a few more limpers and I check in the BB with QTo. Flop comes J9x. Check to ASR who bets 10, LP calls, and I call. Turn is a K (told you I was hitting good). ASR bets 25, LP calls, and I raise to 75. ASR shoves for 135 total, and LP folds and I call. He asks if I have a straight and the river blanks and my hand is good. He doesn't show but says he had JJ. Not so sure I believe him. He doesn't seem the type to limp JJ.

I win another $100 on another hand with an older regular when my overpair holds against a flush draw with one overcard.

Another hand with ASR. I am really starting to roll at this point. He has rebought in for 200, and may even be up to 250, which I easily cover. Straddled pot by UTG. Fold to me and I raise to 15 UTG+1 with JJ. ASR calls, and there is one other caller in position, so pot is about $50. Flop comes 776. I lead $25, and ASR immediately and confidently says "$50." I'm not inclined to believe he has a 7 here, as he isn't the loosest of players pre-flop, and I also think he would have re-raised QQ+. After the other caller folds, I decide to make it $150, and he quickly folds.

Like I said in the beginning, just one of those sessions where everything went right and you feel like you can do no wrong. There was definitely some good strong play thrown in as well, but often the two can run hand in hand. I've definitely been on the other side of things, so I know the feeling.

No comments: