Monday, February 06, 2006

Super Bowl thoughts

First and foremost I got whitewashed, basically every bet I made lost, which was ugly because I took a lot of proposition bets.

But that game was an absolute abomination, a travesty, a hijacking. The referees did everything they possibly could to make sure Pittsburgh won, from phantom or questionable interference calls, invented penalties to questionable goalline decisions. Several of the decisions were made very late also, in a manner that can only be construed as questionable.

I basically felt like I was watching something scripted, like wrestling. The officiating in the playoffs was horrendous all playoffs, starting with the Polamalu INT that was overturned against Indy, and culminating in the debacle of the Super Bowl. As a Seattle fan, I would be incensed, and as a Pittsburgh fan I would be embarrassed that my team won in that manner. The MVP was Hines Ward, but the entire officiating crew should have gotten it. Seattle dominated the game from start to finish, and save for 3 Pitt plays that totaled 150+ yards, they could have been shut out.

The entire fiasco leaves a very bad taste in my mouth about the NFL. I have never been one to believe in conspiracy theories, but this game really makes one question their beliefs. I hope that the fallout from this forces the NFL (or somebody/something else) to investigate the officiating, and take a hard look at the entire system. The worst thing that can happen is have people give up on this and forget about it. Without the integrity of the officiating, the game becomes nothing more than wrestling. But then again, maybe scripted finishes that satisfy the majority of fans are exactly what the NFL wants....

No comments: