Thursday, March 30, 2006

Fantasy Baseball Draft #1

Last night I had my fantasy baseball draft. We use fantasy points scoring as opposed to roto, with 12 teams and weekly scoring. My plan was to avoid overpaying for closers, as that has happened in the past. I also intended to focus on hitters this season, as I thought the pitching crop was very deep and even. The only closer I was targeting was Chris Ray, as I think he is going to have a very nice season for a later pick. I had the 2nd overall pick in the draft.

Below are my picks, and my thought process:

1st: Albert Pujols – 1B: I actually had Texiera ranked slightly higher, but think Pujols is the far safer pick. His production has been unmatched since his rookie season. The key is to get somebody in this round to get guaranteed numbers.

2nd: Michael Young – SS: I like to have strength up the middle, and have Young as my top rated SS. I also have him 5th overall on my draft board.

3rd: Chone Figgins – 3B, 2B, OF: I wasn’t very big on him last year, but he was my highest rated 3B left, and his positional versatility is huge. Getting him gives me a lot of flexibility later on.

4th: Rich Harden – SP: He was the pitcher I was targeting all along. As long as he stays healthy, I have him pegged for a breakout season.

5th: Victor Martinez – C: Anyone who has played with me knows I love to have a great catcher, and I got the best by far here. This guy is only going to get better, is in a potent lineup in a great ballpark. I had him 8th overall on my draft board.

6th: Brad Wilkerson – OF: This was the first of my picks that I didn’t really feel great about. I needed to get some OF’s, and he was my top rated one left. He had a bad season last year, but was injured and playing in the cavernous ballpark in Washington. This season he moves to the bandbox in Arlington, and I think he returns to his 25+ HR numbers.

7th: Matt Holliday – OF: Might have been a reach here, but I liked him a lot. I think he has the potential to make a big jump from last years nice numbers, and like the Colorado ballpark factor. Since I don’t have any stud OF’s, I wanted to try to get some guys with upside to make up the gap.

8th: Noah Lowry – SP: This guy was lights out last season, and is very underrated. With Bonds back, his win numbers may make a big jump if he pitches like he did last season.

9th: Rickie Weeks – 2B: Another very young player with a very high ceiling. Played great in limited duty last season. 2nd base is a very thin position, and even with Figgins versatility, I thought it would be important to jump on him here. My alternatives were another pitcher or outfielder, but nobody was really jumping off the page.

10th: Jason Isringhausen – RP: So much for not grabbing any closers. His value here was great. This guy is the unquestioned guy in STL, and gets a lot of save opportunities. Generally only works 1 inning tops, so is not asked to do too much. I was actually surprised looking at his numbers at how consistently good he really is. I was targeting Coco Crisp with this pick, and he went 3 before me.

11th: Troy Glaus – 3B: I think he’s a season ending injury waiting to happen, but couldn’t believe he was still here, after guys like Rolen, Beltre, Ensberg and Blalock were taken (I had Glaus as my 5th 3B, ahead of all of the guys mentioned). Getting him allows me to DH him, or play him at 3B and let Figgins play OF or 2B.

12th: Doug Davis – SP: I needed to grab some more pitching, and he was my 15th rated SP. Gets a lot of K’s, and plays on a team that many feel are up and coming, which should help his win total.

13th: Chris Ray – RP: The closer I was targeting the whole time. I didn’t think I could afford to wait another 20+ picks. The guy has nasty stuff, and his progression looks very similar to BJ Ryan last year.

14th: Geoff Jenkins – OF: Needed another OF, and he was my highest rated. Won’t put up huge numbers, but is very consistent and you can likely pencil him in for 25HR and 85 RBI’s.

15th: Austin Kearns – OF: Here’s upside. The guy has had huge injury problems and could be a complete bust, but that’s what the 15th round is for. I’m basing a lot of this pick on Cincy trading Sean Casey and Wily Mo Pena in the offseason, meaning that they are clearing a spot for Kearns full time. Some could argue that trusting an organization as inept as Cincy is a recipe for disaster, and I can’t argue it.

16th: Jon Lieber – SP: Don’t particularly like him, and he plays in a bad ballpark for pitchers. But the guy is an innings eater, and will get some wins. He’ll give up a lot of hits too. He’s a guy that I am counting on for my 4th SP, basically a spot starter. I was thinking about taking Foulke but he went 1 pick before me.

17th: Jose Guillen – OF: This guy won’t be good for clubhouse morale, but when he is right, man can he hit. Plays in a bad ballpark, otherwise he might be picked 5 rounds earlier. He seems over his wrist injury, and I’m hoping he can be a starter in weeks where his team is on the road. There is also the potential of Washington trading him at the midseason point to a team in need of hitting.

18th: Brad Penny – SP: Panicked with this pick, as I wasn’t really prepared for it as the picks went really fast right before it. I decided my pitching was my weakest spot so I grabbed another starter in Penny. If he’s healthy, he is very solid. Plays in a pitcher friendly ballpark.

19th: Mike Gonzalez – RP: 19th round and still an unquestioned closer?? Pitt has gotten a lot save opportunities in the past few years (how else could Mesa put the save numbers up that he did??). Gonzalez did well in this capacity last year, and I think 30 saves is very possible here.

20th: Brad Radke – SP: Don’t really like it, as he is on the downside of his career. But again I thought SP needed some work, so I grabbed him. The nice part is that he is a #2 or 3 pitcher there, so he won’t be going up against aces all the time. A bounceback year makes this a great pick. Otherwise he’s a spot starter at best. Fortunately that’s all I need from him.

21st: Jeff Francis – SP: Yuck. Can’t believe I took a Colorado SP. He has been decent in Colorado as well as on the road. Merely a spot starter at this point.

22nd: Wily Mo Pena – OF: In a platoon situation still, but man can he hit HR. Should love the Monster in LF, and if he can beat Trot Nixon out, he is in a potent lineup. Strictly bench material at first.

23rd: Chad Orvella – RP: Another closer??? WTF??? At this point the pitchers are garbage, so I figured getting another potential closer was a coup here. If he does get the closer job, it’s a great pick, otherwise it’s waiver wire fodder.

24th: Paul Byrd – SP: Never liked him, but he’s the #3 starter on an improving team. Showed some life last season, so it seemed worth a shot. Don’t be surprised to see him on the waiver wire shortly.

25th: Jason Vargas – SP: Tough to find anything in the scrap heap of pitchers now. This guy does get some strikeouts and is pure upside. If the Marlins somehow surprise everyone, this guy could have a nice season.

26th: Craig Wilson – OF: 2nd to last pick of the draft, and a pretty nice one. Adds to the OF depth.

Overall very happy with the draft, stayed with my plan of focusing on hitting, and have some question marks at pitcher. But I have a nice mix of innings eaters and guys with upside for the back end of the pitching staff. I think this team will be top 3 in the regular season.

No comments: