Wednesday, July 05, 2006

PNC Park Trip report



Went to Pittsburgh to visit PNC Park for the first time, and to see the Tigers play the Pirates. The Tigers won the game 9-8, nearly blowing a 4-0 and a 9-2 lead.

Some observations/thoughts on the park (most of my comparisons will be relative to Comerica Park, which is my most logical frame of reference):

I like it much more than Comerica Park (built around the same time). PNC seems to have much more character. It includes several local eateries, etc....which is more than I can say for Comerica, unless you count Little Caesars. There is just more of a fun feel about it. Comerica has that feel now, but didn't when our record was similar to the Pirates record is now.

Everything seems cozier...it seems that we are closer to the action at PNC, though not much more. The downtown area where the park is pretty close to Heinz field. I didn't notice a lot of restaurants nearby to the park, though I only saw it from one side. Parking/access was pretty easy, though we were very early.

Tigers fans traveled well, as it seemed there were nearly as many of us there as Pirate fans. I'll give the Pirates fans credit though, they were very loud and excited getting back to within one run. Not bad support considering how bad they have been of late.

The bridges in the background (can be seen in the picture) are pretty cool to look at, and I think the downtown backdrop is better than the one at Comerica.

Overall a good time. I wish I could spend a summer traveling to different ballparks. Unfortunately to this point the only places I have been are Comerica Park, Tiger Stadium, Wrigley Field and Arlington Stadium (Texas old park).

No comments: